Wednesday, December 3, 2008

http://www.freerice.com where you and your education helps feed the world!



Today we conference about our progress in the read to feed program and visit a website where you can help donate rice to feed the world. You will do that by demonstrating your skills in math (calculations), science (chemistry) and English (vocabulary)

From Wikipedia.org

www.freerice.com
is a website where users play a various educational multiple-choice games in order to raise money to fight world hunger.

The games include chemistry (basic and intermediate), multiplication tables, English vocabulary (the game the site began with), English grammar, basic foreign language vocabulary for English speakers (French, German, Italian, and Spanish), geography (world capitals and country identification), and art.

Currently, for every question answered correctly, twenty grains of rice are donated to impoverished areas of the world. It is considered an extremely remarkable event, with many schools having classes use the site for extended periods of time.

In exchange for advertisements on the website, various sponsors donate the money necessary to pay for the rice and other costs to run FreeRice. The donations are distributed by the United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP), starting with Bangladesh in early 2008. By this time, the site's creator had given over $213,000 to the WFP which encourages people to visit FreeRice.com

One month after the inception of the viral marketing program, users had earned enough points for one billion grains of rice. The United Nation's World Food Programme stated that this amount could feed 50,000 people for one day. Thus, approximately 20,000 grains of rice provide enough caloric intake to sustain an adult for one day. Using this calculation, enough rice is donated to feed about 7,000 people
daily.

In its first six months of operation, FreeRice donated over 42 billion grains of rice.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your assignment is to go to the website and see how much rice you can donate in 15 (or more) minutes. Try the different sections! After 15 (or more) minutes, post your results to the comment section. Also, post the name of your "reed to feed" book and your level of sponsorship. See the sample comment as an example of what to do.

Any questions? Please ask Mr. A. Thanks for making a difference!


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

95 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is _________________
I had donated _________ grains of rice. My best area was _______ and my worst area was _________. My reed to feed book is ________________. I have ____ sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $ ________.

(first name, last initial)

doug.abshire said...

My name is Doug A and in 15 minutes I had 5000 grains of rice donated. Chemistry symbols was my best area and my worst was the vocabulary words. My "reed to feed" book is "The Virus Hunters" and I have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page so I should get at least $5.00. I hope to read more and therefore raise more money.

Anonymous said...

My name is jody v. Idonated 2,300 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst was grammer. My feed book is meltdown. I have 1 sponser which will give me a penny a page so i should get at least $2



JV

Anonymous said...

My name is Heriberto Z. i donated 3490 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was english. I dont have a book right now.



Heriberto Z.

Anonymous said...

my name is Marisa. I had donated 2220 grains of rice. my best area was math and my worst area was spanish. my read to feed book was the wreck of the titanic. i have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $5

marisa w

Anonymous said...

my name is mariah i have donated 1680 grains of rice. my read to feed book is anne frank the diary of a young girl, but i dont have a sponsor yet but i plan on getting at least a penny a page


MT

Anonymous said...

My name is Edward.
I had donated 24000 grains of rice.
My best area was math and my worst area was none. My read to feed book is don't have one yet. I have no sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $0.

Edward M.

Anonymous said...

My name is oscar.I donated 3500 grains of rice.My best area was sapnish and my worst area was english.Idont have a read to feed program but i get one this week.I dont have have a sponser.

Anonymous said...

My name is Thalia, I had donated 2600 grains of rice in 15 minutes. My best area and only area was English and my worst area and only area was English. My reed to feed book is "Microbiology". I have One sponsors which is my loving and caring Mommy which will give me a penny a page read, so I should get at least $2. Im helpng the world a little at a time. YAY!!!

Thalia V

Anonymous said...

my name is derek b. i had donated 2680 grains of rice. my best area was multiplying. i have 0 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $o

Anonymous said...

My name is Johanna. In 15 minutes I had donated 2,800 grains of rice. The only area I answered questions in was English, so I guess it's my best and worst. My read to feed book is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I have one sponsor who will give me a penny per page so I should get at least $4.00.
~JohannaS

Anonymous said...

My name is Stephanie Yuliana and in 15 minutes I had donated 4120 grains of rice. My best area was Spanish. I dont have a read to feed book yet, but by today I should have it.

Anonymous said...

My name is philip neff. I donated 2020 grains of rice. My worst area spanish and my best is math. My read to feed book is Black and White. I have 1 sponser and it is me. If I had a penny a page I would have $2.54.

Anonymous said...

My name is Jessica. I donated 3,620 grains of rice. My best area was Spanish and my worst area would have been Art because I know nothing about art.My read to feed book is titled The First Daughter. I have one sponsor which will give me a penny a page read so I should get atleast 3 dollars.I hope to have time to read another read to feed book.

Jessica M

Anonymous said...

My name is Natasha L. I had dontated 2540 grains of rice. My best area was math and french, my worst was social studies. My read to feed book is the story of basketball. I have 1 sponsors which will give me at least $1.56.

~*Natasha L.*~

Anonymous said...

My name is Michaela Giser
I had donated 1,760 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was English. My reed to feed book is Someone like you. I have no sponsors which i will right a 5 paragraph on my book

( MIchaela,G )

Anonymous said...

My name is EdmundoT. I had donated 3,080 grains of rice. My best area was multipication. My worst aarea was art. My reed to feed book is NFL's Greatest. I have 2 ssponsor which will give me a penny page read so I should get at least $5.

Anonymous said...

ok My Name Is sandy g. i had donated 4200 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst was vocabulary. My read to feed book is "that was Then This is Now". I have 1 sponsor wich will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least a dollar.

S.G.

Anonymous said...

my name is Brenda S.i had donated 2390 grains of rice. My best area was Spinsh. i dont have a book yet or a sponsor..

Anonymous said...

My name is Melchor Acosta. I had donated 1830 grains of rice. My best area was english and my worst area was algibra . My read to feed book is 2pac biography. I have 1 sponser

Anonymous said...

my name is kyle M. I had donated 4060 grains of rice. ,y best are was english vocabulary and my worst subject was foreign language. my read to feed book is neil gaimen the graveyard book. i have 1 sponcer which should give me a penny a page so i should get at least $ 5.00

Anonymous said...

My name is Yazmine i had donated 3040 grains of rice.My best area was math and spanish and my worst area was french.My reed to feed book is "L is for Loser".i have one sponser which will give me a penny a page read so i should get atleast $3.

~Yazmine G.

Anonymous said...

My name is brandon
I had donated 2300 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was spanish.My reed to feed book is i dont have one yet. I have no sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should gat at least $00.

Anonymous said...

My name is Giovanni. I had donated 6000 grains of rice. my best area was multilication tables and my worst was english. I have no sponsors and my book is Hip Hop High School.
GiovanniC

Anonymous said...

m name is Jared r. i had donated 3200 grains of rice. my best area was math and my worst area was math. i dont know my read to feed book or my sponsers.

Anonymous said...

My name i Elyrha L. I had donated 2380 grains of rice. My best area was grammar, and my worst area was math. my reed to feed book is "Vampire Kisses." I have 1 sponsor who will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $2.60

~Elyrha L. :)

Anonymous said...

My name is Adriana. I had donated 3,460 grains of rice. My best area was Italian and my worst area was Vocabulary. My reed to feed book is Nothing is Forever(?). I have no sponsors.

Adriana J.

Anonymous said...

I thought that it was really fun it was the funest that i have did in this class and it helped people to and my scorr was 2,100 i did not get a lot but it still help someone!!!!:):):)
R.P

Anonymous said...

My name is Angel. I had donated 6300 grains of rice. My best area is in math and my worst area is in reading. My reed to feed book is night. I have 1 sponsor which will give me a penny a page so i should get at least $2.50.
Angel G

Anonymous said...

my name is chris y. i donated 3000 my best subject was math my worst was spanish. my read to feed book is the last stand of fox company my sponser is my parents. they give me a penny a page.

Anonymous said...

my name is nikk b i had donated 5600 grains of rice. my best area was math and my worse area was reading.

Anonymous said...

I dontoed 2300 grains of rice. The subjects I am good at are my mutilpact table adn a little bit of spanish. I need to work on my albra. My book I am reading is "Empress The World". It's good so far. I have one sponser from my church.
MarisaM

Anonymous said...

my name is kevin w. i had donated 5830 grains of rice. my best area was math and my worst area was english. my reed to feed book is Homeboyz. i have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $5.oo.

Anonymous said...

my name is IrvinC I donated 4250 grains of rice.My best area was Spanish and math.My worst area was Art.My reed to feed book that i am reading is called Savage Iniqualities. so far i only have one sponcer which is going to give me a dollar if i finish the bool

Anonymous said...

My name is Sydney P. I had donated 2020 grains of rice. My best area was math. My worst area was vocabulary. My reed to feed book is "Before I Die". I have 2 snonsors whic will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $3.00.

Anonymous said...

My name is Kayla. I donated 3406 grains of rice. My best area was Math and I had no worst area. My read to fead bood is Darkhenge. I do not have a sponsor.

KaylaB

Anonymous said...

i donated 5440 grains of rice. my best area was math. my feed to read book is a series of unfortunate events. i have 1 sponser whicg will give me a penny a page read so ishould get at least 1 dollar. david h

Anonymous said...

My name is austin h i have donated 3020 grains of rice.

Anonymous said...

My name is iliana, in 15 minutes I donated 4834 grains of rice.My best areas were spanish and math. My weakest was chemical symbols. I have 2 sponsers and they will give me 1 pennie per page. I should donate a least $5.

Anonymous said...

My name is Juan M.I donated 2360grains of rice.My best area was math and my worst area was english.Idont have a read to feed program but i get one this week.I dont have have a sponser.

Anonymous said...

My name is Katherine
I had donated 3060 grains of rice.
My Best area was english vocabulary and my worse area was math.I dont have a reed to feed book.I have 1 sponsor which will give me a penny a page read.

Anonymous said...

My name is Rebecca. I had donated 2,100 grainis of rice. My best area was Math and my worst was English. My read to fead book is Found. I dont have a sponsor.

Rebecca,P

Anonymous said...

My name is Itzel G. i had donatrd 5020 grains of rice in 15 minutes. My best area were Spanish and Math and my worst area was chemical symbols. I have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $5.

Anonymous said...

My name is Victor V. I had donated 2890 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was math. My reed to feed book is Make a Difference. I had not sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get a least i have aniting.

Anonymous said...

my name is luis A.
i had donated 2980 grains of rice.
my best area was spanish and my worst area was history. my reed to feed book is make a difference. i have not sponsor wich will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least i have siting

Anonymous said...

My name is Casandra C. I had donated 2050 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was spanish. My reed to feed book is tears of a tiger. I have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $ 3.50.

Anonymous said...

My Name is Erin Sanchez. I Donated 3000 Grains Of Rice. My Best Area Was Basic Math(Pre-Algebra).My Reed To Feed Book is Tears Of a Tiger. I Have No Sponsors Which Will Give Me a Penny a Page Reaf So i Should Get At Least No Money Because i Dont Have Any Sponsors Yet.

Anonymous said...

y name is Rosa F. I have donated 2,980 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was math. My read to feed book is law and order. I have 2 sponsers which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least 6.00$$$$.

Rosa F.

Anonymous said...

My name is ELizabeth g. i donated 3780 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was italian. My reed to feed book is Tears of a Tiger. I have 1 sponsor which will give me a penny a page read so i should get $_.__

Anonymous said...

My name is Marco R.I donated 4960
grains of rice.My best area was math and spanish my worst was grammer.My read t feed book is invisible.I have one sponcer which will give me a penny a page so should atleast get $2.00.

Anonymous said...

My Gabriel B. I have donated 4300 grains of rice my best area was math since that was the only area I did. I still don't have a read to feed book. I have about three sponsors so I should get at least 3 dollars.

Anonymous said...

My name is Rosendo A ihad donated 4400grains of rice. My best subject was spanish and worst was french.I have 1 sponsor. My reed to feed book is Cool Salsa. My sponsor is giving me a penny a page so i should get $1.36.

Anonymous said...

My name is Jenny G. I had donated 4180 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was art. My reed to feed book was Devilish and now I'm reading Twilight. I have 1 sponsor which will give me a penny a page read so I should atleast get $2.63.

Jenny G.

Anonymous said...

My name is Daisy G.. i had donated 4840 grains of rice. My best area was spainsh and my worst area was science. My reed to feed book is "The Pretty One". I have 1 sponcer which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $3.56.

Anonymous said...

my name is Bo Perez. I donated 1600 grains of rice. My best area was english and my worst was math. My feed to read is Tenderness.I have no nsponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least 3 dollars.

Anonymous said...

My name is Miguel M.F AND I gathered more than 3000 grains of rice .My best subject is in spanish and i did bad in tha english vocabulary.The book I am reading for the read to feed foundationis HELP WANTED. My sponsor is Francisco G

miguel m

Anonymous said...

My name Is Genesis Galdean I have donated abot 4420 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was the English Vocabulary. I dont have any sponsors right now but i'm gonna start with my book "Twilight". It has many pages so i might get alot of money. But I promise I'm going to start sponsoring for the Read to Feed Program. I might sponsor myself.

Anonymous said...

My name is Francisco Galvan, I had donated 5200 grains of rice. My best area was in Spanish and my worst was in english vacabulaty. I don't have a sponser and a book to read. Francisco Galvan

Anonymous said...

My name is Augustina C. i had donaed 4,760 grains of rice. my best area was the multiplaction tables and my worst area was in art. My reed to feed book is I dont have one. I have no Sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least 0$ for right now

Anonymous said...

my name is Artemio and in 15 minutes I donated 4250 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was vocabulary.

Anonymous said...

my name is liz i had donated 4660 grains of rice. my best area was spanish my worst area was english.my reed to feed book is std's, i have no sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i shuold get at least $1.20
mr. a i wasnt here but i just finished this book.

lizbeth,castillo

Anonymous said...

My name is Jaime I had donated 2620 grains of rice. My best area was vocabulary and my worst was geography. My reed to feed book is The Rose That Grew From Concrete. I have 0 sponsers but im getting some. Which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least 5$

Jaime D

Anonymous said...

My name is Jesse C. I had donated 2,320 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was art. My "Read to Feed" book was Thief. I have four sponsors which will give me a penny a page for a minimum of $2.37.

Anonymous said...

my name is Artemio and in 15 minutes I donated 4250 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was vocabulary. I dont have a book but I am going to find one. which will give me a penny a page I should atleast get like five dollars.

Anonymous said...

My name is Priscila A. I had donated 3,760 grains of rice. My best area was Spanish and my worst area was Art. My reed to feed book is 'Just Listen'. I have 0 sponsors right now, but im really looking forward to get at least 2 sponsors. My sponsors will give me a penny a page read so I should get atleast $3.

Priscila A

Anonymous said...

my name is irving i have donated 2000 grain of rice. my best area was reading and my worst area was spanish. i dont have a reed to feed book but i am going to find one. i have no sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get atleast $0.

Anonymous said...

my name is My name is ________kathleen_________
I had donated ___3696______ grains of rice. My best area was __math_____ and my worst area was _____capitals of the world____. My reed to feed book is ______sold__________. I have ____2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $ ___5.50_____.

Kathleen J.

Anonymous said...

My name is mariela h i donated 3780 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst was math.I have 3 sponsers and i dont know thw books name but its in my locker.

Mariela H hour5

Anonymous said...

My name is Taylor I had donated 2640 grains of rice. I think I did German and English vocabulary equally really well. My read to feed book is Glass. I have 3 sponsers which would give me a penny a page so I should get at least $6.81 per person.

Taylor J.

Anonymous said...

My name is juan carlos banuelos i have donated 3600 frains of rice. My best area was French and my worst was Nothing. My reed to feed book is don quicojite. I have 10 sponsors so i should get at least $10

Juan B.
Aka Lil JoKeR

Anonymous said...

shantela i got 1920 of rice i don't got a book.

Anonymous said...

my name is Fabian S. I had donated 4160 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst was english. My read to feed book is Biggest Brother. I have two sponsors which will give me around $3.


Fabian S.

Anonymous said...

My name is Elias.
I had donated 3200 grains of rice. My best area was spanish and my worst area was French. My reed to feed book is Of Mice And Men. I have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $2.50.

Elias D

Anonymous said...

My name is Sydney. I had donated 4440 grains of rice. My best area was Math and my worst area was Capitails of the world. My reed to feed book is Savage Inequalities. I have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $4.68.

Anonymous said...

hello my name is katrina R. i donated 3,000 granes of rice today.my best area was multipacation and my worst was chemistry.i do not have a read to feed book yet but i am looking for one and i dont have any sponsers but i am looking

Anonymous said...

My name is robert I had donated 2500 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was art. My reed to feed book is be more chill. I have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $ 1.24.

Anonymous said...

my name is Samantha. I have donated 4920 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was world capitals. My read to feed book is Define Normal. I have 3 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $10.
Samantha H.

Anonymous said...

My name is Jason H. I had donated 2020 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was math. My reed to feed book is Bloodsong. I have 1 sponsor which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $ 1.00.

Jason H

Anonymous said...

My name is stephanie c.I had donated 3442 grains of rice.My best area was math m worts area was spanish. My reed to feed book is Crank. I have 1 sponsor which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $5.

Anonymous said...

My Name is Jazelle. I Just Donated 1642 Grians Of Rice. My Best Area Was iN Math, & My Weakest Was Spanish. Haha.! My Read To Feed Book iS Umm i Forgot.!Haha Somrthing About A Sweet Sixteen..i Have Two Sponors So Far.




JaZeLlE P=]

Anonymous said...

My name is Casandra Bernal. I donated 4040 grains of rice.. My best area was math and my worst was english grammer. My Read to reed book is Cirque De Freak. I have 1 sponcer which will give me a penny a page i read so .. I schould get a least 3 to 4 dollar's.

Anonymous said...

My name is Irving D.
I had donated 3000rains of rice.

My best area was Spanish and my worst area was NONE ____. My reed to feed book is Harry Potter And the Deathly Hallows. I have 2sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $ 7.56c__.

Anonymous said...

My name is Anjel. I had donated 2900 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was math. My reed to feed book is Eldest. I have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $ 5.

Anonymous said...

My name is ___Monica V_____________
I have donated _2080________ grains of rice. My best area was _Spanish______ and my worst area was _Math________. My reed to feed book is __Breathing Under Water______________. I have ___1_ sponsor which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $ __1.30______.

Anonymous said...

my name is Samantha. I have donated 4920 grains of rice. My best area was math and my worst area was world capitals. My read to feed book is Define Normal. I have 3 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $10.
Samantha H.

Anonymous said...

my name is shenandoah revello.i donated 2420 grains of rice.My best are was french and my worse was world map.my read to feed book is ghost stories.I have zero sponsers which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $5.00.

Anonymous said...

my name is taylor. i have donated 2820 grains of rice. my best area was spanish and my worse area is math.my read to feed book is tendreness. i have 2 sponsers which will give me a pennie a page read so i should get at least $5. taylor r

Anonymous said...

my name is Ashley M I had donated 1640 grams of rice. my best area was english grammer and my worst area was math. my reed to feed book is Glass. I have one sponser which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $3.

Anonymous said...

My name is Sydney. I had donated 4440 grains of rice. My best area was Math and my worst area was Capitails of the world. My reed to feed book is Savage Inequalities. I have 2 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so I should get at least $4.68.

Sydney T.

Anonymous said...

My name is Brandi C. I had donated 2500 grains of rice. My best area was Math and my worst area was English. My read to feed book is Burn Journals. I have 8 sponsors which should give me about $26.16 but people love me and I am getting about $40 dollors.

Anonymous said...

my name is michael.I had donated 2,840 grains of rice.My best area was math,my worst was grammer.My read to feed book is beauty.I HAVE NO SPONSERS just yet.


michael

Anonymous said...

My name is Angeles M I donated 2897 grains of rise. My best area was spanish. The name of my book is somthing i dont know it but its in my locker i have like 3 or 4 sponsers and i plan to get more well by... and i dont know how many pages my book has

Anonymous said...

My name is silvia S.
I had donated 3880 grains of rice.My best area was Math and Spanish. My worst was english. MY read to feed book is "almost Lost". I Have at least 2 sponsors wich will give me apenny a page read so I should get at least $4-6.

Anonymous said...

My name is Jess Garcia i have donated 1060 grains of rice. My best area was French, Itanlian, and Spanish. My read to feed book is Daughter of the Moon. I have 0 sponsors which will give me a penny a page read so i should get at least $2.50

doug.abshire said...

We did it! We had donated almost 300,000 grains which feed 15 people for a day. Every bit helps!

mr.A